Friday, May 3, 2013

Moon dance - styrofoam plate print addendum

Additional photos to accompany my previous blog post that show the original sketch, the Scratch foam styrofoam plate after being cut apart and how it is reassembled. I have also included photos of some of the brayers that were used, the plastic rubbing stick and a tube of the Graphic Chemical water soluble relief printing ink.




using the piece of Styrofoam plate I marked the corners and inside the area on paper made a pencil sketch of my image.




I traced the image from the sketch onto a sheet of tracing paper. This was set over top of the foam plate and taped to the underside on two sides with masking tape. Using a ball point pen I retraced the lines from the tracing into the foam puncturing the paper and allowing the pens ink to sink down into the foam surface.





Using a xacto knife I cut apart the foam creating the following main shapes to apply various colours mixed from the Graphic Chemical inks. Pieces were carefully reassembled. Slightly misted black Stonehenge paper was set over top. I applied pressure using the smooth round plastic rubbing stick and by rubbing in a circular motion. The paper was carefully lifted and a colour print emerged. After the initial image was printed I was able to more to the print. With a steady hand and a good eye that piece was set inked side down onto the print (matching it exactly to the printed area underneath) and pressure was applied to stamp on more ink highlighting.















Example of the ink, rubbing stick, and various sizes of brayers that were used.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting all the steps! I couldn't quite picture it from your description. Now I see exactly how you did it!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete