Monday, May 5, 2014

Collagraph study - polygonum (knotweed)

Polygonom - Quetico 

I recently printed a few black and white proofs from a collagraph plate that I had constructed by in February. It is titled Polygonum (the botanical classification of this species of aquatic weed.) It is also known as knotweed or smartweed and is actually a member of the buckwheat family. This is one of a number of studies that examines flora/fauna found here in Northwestern Ontario. My new works project is being funded by a grant from the Northern Arts program through the Ontario Arts Council.

Using a photo I had taken in Quetico Provincial park in September of 2013 as reference I drew the composition first onto a thin matboard plate in pencil. A variety of materials were used to construct the low relief including paper, modeling paste, rice kernels, old man's beard moss and liquid PVC glue. I also marked into the plate surface with the sharp blade of a craft knife. When everything was glued down and dry I coated the plate on both the front and back and sides with 3 applications of shellac.

various materials were attached using glue 
as low relief elements on the plate.

top layer of the mat board is cut and peel away to create areas 
that will print as darker shadows and shapes in the print.


I applied black vegetable oil base ink to the plate surface with a soft bristle tooth brush and then wiped the plate with tartalan cloth bundled up into a ball. I then carefully removed areas of inks for lighter highlights using the end of cotton swab sticks.

The print was made onto slightly damp Magnani revere 250 gm white rag and printed with medium pressure on my table top Blick etching press.

When the ink had dried to the touch I taped the print down onto a plastic core board and applied thin layers of watercolour and liquid acrylic inks to add in the colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment